Must Have Meatloaf
I bet you grew up with meatloaf as one of the meals in rotation. This is a twist to make it a little healthier. This must have meatloaf comes from the cooking channel members inside my fitness group gets access to.
Lets make this MUST HAVE MEATLOAF
- 1⁄3 cup low-sodium bone broth
- ¼ tsp. unflavored gelatin (preferably from grass-fed cows)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped onion (approx. 1⁄3 medium onion) (I skipped the onion)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped carrot (approx. ¾ medium carrot)
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped red bell pepper (approx. ½ medium red bell pepper)
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped celery (approx. 1 medium stalk celery)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. all-natural tomato paste
- ½ tsp. fresh thyme (or dry thyme)
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (I used coconut amino)
- ¾ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. 96% lean raw ground beef (I used ground turkey)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup gluten-free panko bread crumbs (I used IANS gluten free italian)
Here is how to make the must have meatloaf:
- Preheat oven to 325º F
- Line loaf pan with parchment paper. Lightly coat with spray. Set aside.
- Sprinkle broth with gelatin to let bloom before use. Set aside.
- Place onion, garlic, carrot, bell pepper, and celery in food processor (or blender); pulse until finely chopped. Set aside. I chopped without bleding.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add onion mixture; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until just beginning to brown.
- Add tomato paste, thyme, and chili powder; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, broth mixture, salt, and pepper; mix well. Allow to cool a few minutes before using.
- Combine ground meat, egg, bread crumbs, and onion mixture; mix with clean hands until combined.
- Place ground meat mixture in prepared loaf pan
- Bake for 38 to 42 minutes, or until brown all over and a thermometer inserted into center of loaf reads 155º F.
- Rest for 10 minutes; slice into six equal portions.