Spaghetti Squash Crust Pizza
If you have never tried baked or roasted spaghetti squash you are missing out. Here is a creative way to add that veggie into your fave dish as a pizza crust!
Here is what you need to make this spaghetti squash pizza crust:
Pizza Crust Ingredients
- Parchment paper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 cups cooked spaghetti squash (approx. 1 small)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese or dairy free version
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 all-natural marinara sauce
- 1/2 c shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese ( or dairy free version)
- 8 oz. cooked chicken breast), sliced
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups fresh arugula
Let’s make some pizza:
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper; lightly coat with spray. Set aside.
- Using a clean kitchen towel or paper towels, squeeze as much water as possible from spaghetti squash; place in medium mixing bowl.
- Add egg, Parmesan cheese, and oregano; mix well.
- Place squash mixture in center of prepared baking sheet; use damp hands to press into a thin circular shape, about ¼-inch thick and 10 inches across. Bake for 20 minutes, or until top is dry and edges begin to brown. Remove from oven.
- To make pizza, spread marinara sauce in an even layer on baked crust; top evenly with mozzarella cheese, chicken, and onion. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until onion softens slightly and cheese melts.
- Top with basil; cut in half.
- Divide evenly between two plates; serve each with 1 cup arugula as a side salad or additional pizza topping.
Some Key Tips
- Make sure spaghetti squash is very dry before mixing with other ingredients. It should reduce from 4 cups to approximately 2 cups after squeezing.
- Add any of your favorite veggies most toppings. If you like your veggies more cooked, sauté them for 2 to 3 minutes before topping the pizza.
- To make this an individual serving, reduce the cheese topping to ¼ cup, and use 1 serving of chicken.
- To make for a family, double the ingredients for the crust and press it out to fill a whole baking sheet.
- To freeze: After baking, instead of adding toppings, let crust cool completely; place baking sheet in freezer. When frozen, transfer crust to a resealable bag.
- When ready to eat, add toppings directly to frozen crust; bake for 15 minutes.
- To cook spaghetti squash quickly, place whole squash in microwave; cook, on high, for 3 minutes.
- Cut in half lengthwise; scoop out and discard and seeds.
- Return squash to microwave; cook, on high, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until you can easily remove spaghetti strands with a fork.