Spaghetti Squash Chicken Casserole
The weather is getting colder and as sad as I am to see summer go, I do enjoy a warm hoodie and an abundance of winter squash! One of my go to weekly squashes is spaghetti squash. Now sure you can use it as a gluten free low carb spaghetti swap but here is another yummy way to enjoy spaghetti squash.
Normally I am always hesitant of casseroles and almost NEVER eat them at a potluck. Usually there is gluten or hidden sources of gluten and dairy or they are swimming in cheese. So I was excited to try this one as its PALEO, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and sounded yummy.
Here is what you need:
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 4 tbs ghee, butter or coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced (I used 1/2 tsp minced garlic)
- 1 medium carrot,diced
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound chicken diced (can used ground chicken)
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (I don’t like spice so I used a couple shakes)
- 1/4 cup mayo ( I used primal kitchen avocado mayo)
- 3 eggs, whisked ( only used 2)
Here is how you make it:
- preheat oven to 400 F
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Place cut side down on baking tray. Can also cook squash whole but need to wait a bit longer for it to cool to cut it in half.
- I used our Lecreuset. Sprayed with non stick spray or can use coconut oil.
- Let the squash cool 5 min, remove the seeds, use a fork to scrape the threads into the baking dish.
- In a sauce pan, melt 2tbs coconut oil. Add the garlic, carrot, bell pepper (and any other veggies you choose to add). Cook 5-10 minutes. Add the chicken and seasonings and cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove from heat and add the mayo and hot sauce and mix well.
- Add the chicken mixture to the baking dish. Mix well with spaghetti squash.
- Add the eggs and mix well so you don’t see the runny eggs.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the top forms a slight crust.
- Garnish with avocado or steamed veggies and enjoy.
I ate this whole casserole myself this week. IT WAS GOOD!
Original recipe from Juli Bauer Paleo Cookbook.