Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie
This is just like your fave Shepherds pie but more nutritious.
It’s also hubby approved.
Here is what you need:
- 1 cup low sodium beef bone broth & 1 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1tsp minced garlic
- 1lb raw lean ground beef 92% or higher
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs coconut amino or Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups frozen greenbeans
- 2 tsp cornstarch + 2 tsp water (combine to make slurry)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp coconut oil/ ghee
- 2 cups mashed sweet potato
Heres how to make sweet potato shepherds pie
Bring a pot of water to boil
Preheat oven to 425
Combine beef bone broth & gelatin. Set aside
Rinse sweet potatoes (2). Dice, once water is boiling add to pot of water
Heat oil in non stick skillet
Add onion, carrots, celery and stir frequently for 3-5 minutes
7. Add garlic, stir well for a minute or two
8. Add beef. Stir frequently 4-5 minutes until lightly browned
9. Add tomato paste, cook another 2 minutes
10. Add broth mixture, sauce, greenbeans, seasonings and cook 1 minute
11. Add cornstarch, cook for a minute or two then remove from heat
12. Transfer beef and veggie mixture to 8×8 casserole dish
13. Drain sweet potatoes. Add 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1tsp coconut oil or ghee, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper and mash.
14. Top casserole with sweet potato mash
15. Bake 20-25 minutes until sweet potatoes are browned.
16. Cut into 4 pieces (4x4inch slices) Enjoy
It may not look amazing but it sure tastes amazing.
You can sub ground turkey for beef too.